Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, April 28, 2006

My Lunchtime Reading...For A Long Time To Come

I received a book in the mail from England the other day. It has become my lunchtime book and undoubtedly will keep me busy for a long time. It’s entitled The Lore of the Land: A Guide to England’s Legends from Spring-Heeled Jack to the Witches of Warboys. It was written by Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson. Jacqueline Simpson is a sort of acquaintance of mine through an amateur press association in which we both are active. The book is 851 pages of fairly small type. Since I’ve spent a fair amount of time in England and have traveled it from end to end I know it fairly well. The subjects of the short and long items cover everything from ghosts, devil, fairies, churches, holy places, heroes and villains and many others. Already I’ve read about Dick Turpin, the famous highwayman, and the doomed dirigible, R101, which was thought, like the Titanic, to be indestructible. Its maiden voyage was supposed to be from England to India, but it crashed in a wood near Beauvais, France. Faulty design and bad weather were blamed. This is a wonderful big book filled with the legend and lore of England. Anyone with an interest in this sort of thing will find hours of enjoyment in this title.

1 Comments:

Blogger Frank Denton said...

Andy, I'd love to go back to England but my back problems are such that I wouldn't have much fun. I keep hoping things will improve and I can make the trip once more. Like you, I have a favorite fish and chip shop. It's in Ambleside. Would that I could start a franchise in Seattle.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home