Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Yikes! I didn't realize that it had been so long. I'm going to give it another try. I think I was in one of those moods where I thought that I didn't have anything to say worth reading. And I read other blogs with beautiful photography and ask why anyone would read something as plain as mine.

It has been a busy summer for this old guy. In April we bought shares in another race horse, a 3-year-old filly named Spring Run. She came up from Golden Gate and has raced seven times at Emerald Downs. Last Friday we saw he win her first race. She's a beautiful horse and likes to run out front but then she fades in the stretch. Two races back the jockey was instructed to hold her back. She broke well and none of the other horses would go with her. Consequently she found herself out front once again, then faded. The same jockey rode her last Friday with instructions to hold her back by 8-10 lengths. He practically strangled her coming out of the gate and was still strangling her when they rounded the first turn and started down the back stretch. Still the best he could do was keep her third or fourth. Finally at the 3/8ths pole he let up on her. At the quarter pole she took the lead and flew down the home stretch, winning by 1-1/2 lengths. The owners, about a dozen of us, were truly excited. First time to the winner's circle, photos with the jockey and horse. Much celebration.

That's enought to ease back into this blog. I wish I felt more comfortable just writing about the everyday happenings. Jason Beem, the track announcer at Portland Meadows, writes a very down-home blog entitled Life On the Roof. I'll try to be more like him.

3 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

It's great to know a winner! Not that you weren't before. Photos? Put one on the blog!

5:12 PM  
Blogger adamosf said...

it's good that you're back. thanks for commenting on my blog...owning a racehorse sounds fascinating, especially a winner! good luck with her!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

Ach, I was in Portland that weekend. I'll look up her race and watch it. Congrats. I know how exciting this is for you.

WV: plashibl. That which can be plashed.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home