Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Celebrating a Birthday; Not Mine

Happy Fourth of July. I just finished David McCullough's 1776. After reading this book, One wonders how Washington's army ever defeated the English. I may have more to say about the book later.

We celebrated the 60th birthday of a very good friend last evening by going to dinner with her and her husband. Nancy and Ross Weinstein eat out a lot more than we do so they chose the place. The restaurant was Volterra, which we were told is a hill town in northern Italy. It's been open about a year in the place of the former Burke's, a very good Cajun restaurant that we have enjoyed in the past. Volterra was pretty classy and a bit pricey. I said "what the heck, we don't do this often." So I ordered wild boar in gorgonzola sauce, with au gratin potatoes and vegetables. I'm here to tell you that wild boar does not taste like pork. Maybe it was the sauce. I thought it tasted halfway between pork and beef. Anyway, forget the expense. It was very tasty and I'll probably never have wild boar again. And this fine restaurant was kind enough to have Stella Artois beer on the beer and wine list. Oh, so tasty.

I'm going away for about six days so don't expect me. The now semi-annual retreat at our cabin for a bunch of old geezers. I'll repeat all their lies when I return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home