Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Monday, May 02, 2005

The Run for the Roses

This Saturday is the Kentucky Derby. It's the first of three horse races that make up the Triple Crown. I always get excited about this time of year. It's been a long time since one horse has won all three races. And I don't think it will happen this year. I was so sure that Smarty Jones would do it last year. And Fusaichi Pegasus a couple of years back. There will be twenty horses running and with that kind of crowd anything can happen. A horse can get trapped in that bunch and be unable to get free to run. There are some good horses and I guess I'll just sit back and watch, trying to not get too excited. But deep down I'll be rooting for Bellamy Road or Afleet Alex. I watched a special on the upcoming race the other day. I visited the track Churchill Downs about seven months ago, although their fall season was not running at the time. Seeing the show the other day I was struck once again by the fact that the track sits in the midst of a very old residential district. Looking over the shoulder of the presenters of the program I could see a two-storey house with a white picket fence. The house was easily a hundred years old.

By the way, I would not care to see the race in person. Having been there, seen the track, and knowing that thousands of people will attend, I can bet that persons attending won't see much of the race, practically none of the backstretch unless one is up in the stands (Got Big Bucks?). You're much better off to see the race on television. No doubt I'll have more to say after the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home