Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Radon Daughters

Radon Daughters
I finally finished this book by Iain Sinclair. I’ve read several non-fiction books by Sinclair and enjoyed them very much, This was fiction of the most surrealistic kind. Non-sentences, short phrases, rarely a complete sentence. It really was quite difficult to read. I found myself reading four or five pages at a time before putting the book aside. But buried in all of this was a plot, a story, several stories, in fact. Most interesting to me was Sileen’s search for a manuscript, an unpublished work by William Hope Hodgson, a sequel to The House on the Borderland. Also somewhat entertaining was a brief scene in which a science fiction convention was the focus. I once attended many such. I hope I was not a model for any of these characters.

I had read The House on the Borderland once and it probably was equally dense and difficult to read as Radon Daughters. I won’t recommend this book. I merely wanted to make a record that I had eventually come to the end of its 458 pages.

4 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

Congratulations on becoming licensed and on finishing this tome. I think I'll skip it.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

A glutton for punishment, but I'm glad you got something out of it.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Michael Carlson said...

There's a mag in Britain called Private Eye that has a feature called Pseud's Corner, reprinting the pompous, overblown etc

For a couple of the lean years, I made some spare change sending them clips of Iain Sinclair (and Will Self too)which could be depended on to qualify.

Though I liked Sinclair's poetry, which goes way back, and White Chappelle Scarlet Tracings too...

Then again, you go way back too Denton! Long time no see...

11:51 AM  
Blogger Frank Denton said...

Good Grief, Michael. It has been many years. Funny, I thought about you recently. And I have fond memories of the day we spent with you in London. I take it you are still there, a well-established ex-pat now. It was awfully good to hear from you.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home