Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Big Green Book

I was with a group of friends the other night at a bookstore called Third Place Books. It has tables for groups of people to meet and a pretty good café and coffee shop called The Honey Bear. Of course, our conversation covered many topics, but mostly books. One of my friends started to talk about the big green book. For a moment I was nonplussed and then the light bulb came on. He was talking about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. There has been a fair amount of talk about the new book on message boards, blogs and just plain e-mails. It seems you either like the Rowling books or you don't. I say it makes no difference. Obviously enough people like them to have made the author a very wealthy woman.

I’m here to confess that I have not read it yet. Why? Because I haven’t read the fifth book yet. So I’ll quit this blog right here and start Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this very evening. You don’t need to wish me good reading. I know that I will enjoy the book.

2 Comments:

Blogger adamosf said...

I read the first Harry Potter book, and found it enjoyable, but for some reason never read any of the sequels, even though my son Mark has all of them on his bookshelf. What do you think, Frank? Would I enjoy them enough to tackle 5 huge books? Your recommendation might make the decision for me, haha

9:52 AM  
Blogger Frank Denton said...

Well, not all at once, I mean Rowling writes long. And with the amount of time you have. But, yes, I recommend the books heartily. But I have a childlike mind. And remember, once I was a junior high librarian. Take them one at a time and leave room between to read some good sf or mystery or whatever.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home