Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Weekend at the Cabin

Just checking in to let you know I'm still alive. It's been very busy around here lately. Immediately after the Fourth of July, a group of fellows convened at our cabin near Mt. Rainier. We call it Tankon and it's been happening since 1970. At first it was only after Christmas but now we also meet in the summer. It started among a group of science fiction friends but has gone on beyond that. So I was gone for six days. No sooner got home than my wife and I went back up to the cabin. She's on the board of the owner's association in the small development where our cabin is. Life repeats itself. I was on the board for several years when the association first began, forty-four years ago. I was secretary for three or four years.

Anna and I watched a few movies in the three days we were there. I took great delight in watching And Then There Were None, the 1945 movie from Agatha Christie's novel, Ten Little Indians. An all-star cast led by Barry Fitzgerald. I first saw this when I was in high school but didn't get to see the ending. I went to a boarding school. We were allowed to go to town on Saturday afternoons, providing our behavior during the week had been good. We had to be back in time for dinner. A train ran near the school and we had to catch that train. I think we were down to the last three people in the film still living when we had to leave the theater and run for the train. It was many years before I actually saw the ending of the movie. Now my good friend, Dale, has given me a copy. Should I forget whodunit and how it ends, I can slip it in the player and see it again.

2 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

What we all really want to know is: Who ate the most Cheesy Poofs at Tankon?

2:12 PM  
Blogger adamosf said...

I read the book AND THEN THERE WAS NONE (which I believe was its original title) many years ago, and enjoyed it. Since I do not recall whodunnit, perhaps I should either see the film or read the book again.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home