Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Old Friend, George

Funny things happen on blobs. Today I received an e-mail from a fellow who used to be a student worker in the college library of which I was administrator. George Cottrell was a dandy worker when he was there. But, you see, he had a love for the race track. “Where’s George today?” “Well, he’s probably at Longacres.” George loved the track and the horses and the betting. And guess what? Now he writes commentary for the Daily Racing Form, or as we ‘race track degenerates’ know it, DRF. It was a real pleasure to hear from George. I hope we can get together sometime soon so I can hear his many tales of the track. It’s been twenty-five years since I retired. I have seen George a few times since then. He would occasionally stop by the house. But I haven’t seen him in a long time. I am very pleased to be in touch with him again.

3 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

You know what bothers me about this post? It's that I remember when you retired, and I'd have guessed maybe 15 years ago. Man.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Frank Denton said...

You know what amazes me? I'm creeping up on being retired as long as I worked. The retirement system has been good to me.

1:25 PM  
Blogger adamosf said...

I am hoping to retire in 2 years. I would LOVE to retire as long as I worked, but 40 years of retirement seems a bit excessive. :)

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home