Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Monday, May 14, 2007

More Spy Stuff

I still have spy novels on my mind. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a book concerning either or both of the following: 1) A book that brings up to date the book I have read, The British Spy Novel which was published in1984. That’s twenty-three years ago and there are surely writers who have come upon the scene in the ensuing years. 2) A book that covers American spy novelists. I know of Helen MacInnes, sometimes called the Queen of American Spy Novelists. But were there any other women spy novelists? Robert Ludlum whom I tried a couple of books and wasn’t enthusiastic about. Although I must say that I like the movies of The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy. And I understand that a third Bourne movie is being made. Trevanian was around for a while but I never tried any of his books. Don’t know for sure whether he was American or not. And I don’t know whether you can call Hammond Innes a spy novelists or not. An adventure thriller writer for sure. And Adam Hall (Elleston Trevor) whom I met one time at a Bouchercon shortly before his death. He was going to send me some notes on writing spy fiction but never got around to it, alas. My loss. I was looking forward to what he had to say. Anyway, I’m open to suggestions of books about the writing and writers of spy novels as well as recommendations of any that I’ve missed.

3 Comments:

Blogger AppleThief4Elliot said...

I think Trevanian may have been Canadian.

This isn't exactly what you were asking for but you might be interested to know that Dame Stella Rimmington, the first Director General of MI-5 has published two novels as well as a memoir.

9:24 AM  
Blogger mybillcrider said...

When you're talking American spy novelists, you're talking the Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton. That's at the top. Another worth mentioning is the Joe Gall series by Philip Atlee. Both series published by Gold Medal. There are a lot of others, of course.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Amy Grun said...

Spying isn't necessarily a noble action. I think that every person has a right on its private space. What can be really useful to you is essayhelper4you. This site provides a fast essay writing help for students.

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home