Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, April 25, 2008

A Black Fox Running

If you’ve been a book lover all your life like I have there are undoubtedly many books on your shelves that you have bought over the years but have never read. I discovered one such just last week. It is entitled A Black Fox Running by Brian Carter. I thought I might have purchased it in England but the publisher is American so I probably found it on sale or remaindered somewhere. I like foxes a lot and have read several books about them. This book is fiction, however, and it takes place on Dartmoor in Devonshire, England. It was about a black fox living there, his exploits and adventures, his romance and becoming a father. There are humans in the story, including a poacher and his greyhound who are intent on killing the Fox.

Brian Carter has obviously spent a lot of time on Dartmoor. He knows the animals and birds very well, and his descriptions of the seasons and topography of Dartmoor are excellent. I have spent much more time on Exmoor but I know many of the places that Carter names and describes. There’s a wonderful feeling in a reader when he can say “Oh, I know exactly where that is. I’ve been there.” The names of the villages roll off his tongue; Widecombe, Ilsington, North Bovey, Chagford, Bovey Tracey, Lustleigh, Peter Tavey. When he names the cider apples, Bloody Butchers, Slack-ma-Girdles, Grenadiers, Kingston Blacks, I can remember stopping at roadside orchards and tasting their ciders and scrumpies. I wouldn’t recommend this book for everyone, but would suggest it to those with a love of wildlife or would like a taste of village life on this small piece of southwest England.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc Stephens said...

Hi there Frank - nice to see a review of this book as I'm from Devon and have met Brian Carter a few times in my life. He writes for the local Torbay newspaper The Herald Express and is often seen walking around the gorgeous local areas. I like the ook too, ut think I preferred his novel aout the horses of world war 2 called 'Jack'. Seek it out! Thanks again, Marc

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home