Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Monday, July 21, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Guinea Pig

I received a phone call from my HMO recently asking me to participate in a research project. I’ve have done so previously but it’s been a few years. So I said I was interested and answered a lot of questions about age, health, mental state, etc. I later was called and told that I qualified and would receive more questions in the mail. Today was my first appointment so last evening I sat down to read everything that had been sent. There were questions about past and current health problems and I was asked to list when each was diagnosed and what medications I took and when I started. I don’t know about you but I don’t keep track of those things. I have several conditions of which I have no clue when they started. It’s been so long. And I have a string of medications that I’ve been taking so long that I don’t even remember what they are for. I thought that knowing six our of nine was pretty good. The only real date I remember is my heart by-pass because I came to close to buying the farm that day.

I wasn’t too worried because I knew that the records were in the HMO’s computer and could be accessed easily. But I knew that I had been in several different hospitals for various surgeries. And I could remember having been in Swedish Hospital in Seattle but for the life of me could not remember the reason. At breakfast I asked my wife and she could not remember either. It was finally when I got to the appointment and was going over some questions that the answer popped into my head. I thought that it was a surgery but that it was not invasive. I guess I forgot because the surgery was done behind my back. Matter of fact it was a spinal surgery. Eureka!

The experience was very nice. I met four lovely ladies who were friendly and cheerful. I have three more visits over the next two years. I have to keep an electronic diary for fourteen days after each visit.
Just another day in the life of a guinea pig.


Blogger Bill Crider said...

I hope they're paying you well and not planning on having you for dinner.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob Napier said...

If you show up at Tankon with two heads, I'll know why.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home