Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Let the Games Begin: Every four years there is an occurrence that absolutely destroys my time. The Olympics, of course. Each time I swear I don’t give a hoot who wins, which country has how many medals. And I complain that the television coverage is terrible, so much travelogue and history of the problems overcome by the competitors to get there. And every time the Olympics come around I find myself spending more and more time in front of the tube. Today I managed to see the 144-mile bicycle, some heats of four-oared rowing, and swimming and diving. And it’s likely that this will go on for the next two weeks or however long the games go on. Living close to the Canadian border we have access to CBUT which gives much better coverage than do the American networks. It didn’t help that there was also a Major League Soccer match between Kansas City and San Jose to watch. Nor will it help Wednesday that there is a qualifying soccer match between the U.S.A. and Jamaica for the next World Cup. Well, I have only myself to blame. No discipline. Live for today. That’s me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home