Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

50 Classic Mysteries: Oh, boy. A Red Letter Day. I got a package from Overstock with a double DVD with The 39 Steps on one side and The Lady Vanishes on the other. The 39 Steps is one of my all-time favorite movies. But that’s not all. Another box contained 50 (yes, count ‘em, folks, fifty) movies on 12 double-sided DVDs. 50 Mystery Classics. This little box of gems cost me about 58 cents per movie. What sort of movies? Well, movies I probably missed in my childhood or young adulthood or some hood because we didn’t have money to throw away on movies. Bulldog Drummond, Dick Tracy, Topper, Mr. Wong, Sherlock Holmes, even Nancy Drew. There are about 30 movies which are not from a character series. Some of the actors with starring roles are Brian Donlevy, Richard Basehart, Burgess Meredith, Noah Beery, Lizabeth Scott, Edward G. Robinson, Bela Lugosi and Basil Rathbone. These will take forever to watch. But they should be fun. I haven’t had time to look at the quality of the DVDs yet. When I’ve had a chance I’ll let you know. And if these work out there are other packages, one of science fiction, another of westerns. See:www.overstock.com.

In other news today I watched Manchester United play AC Milan in soccer. The game was played somewhere in New Jersey. This was a pre-season "friendly" which means that the European season starts soon, within a week or two. That means that I can once again enjoy games from England’s Premier League on Tuesdays on Fox Sports Net. And a Major League Soccer game in the U.S. on Saturdays. Oh, boy, oh, boy, oh, boy! Hot diggety dog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home