Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

My Sherlock Holmes: I’ve been reading in a wonderful book of Sherlock Holmes pastiches. It’s entitled My Sherlock Holmes and was edited by Michael Kurland. The stories are by different authors and usually feature characters other than Sherlock Holmes as the protagonist. The lead story by Dick Lupoff features a young namesless scholar who seeks Monsieur Dupin’s help. Dupin, of course, was Edgar Allan Poe’s character. And the scholar couldn't be anybody but the young Sherlock. Other stories feature Mrs. Hudson, Moriarity, Dr. Watson’s wife, Wiggins, the leader of the Baker Street Irregulars and others. I’ve not finished the collection as yet, but I’ve had a lot of pleasure out of reading it so far. And I hope the rest of the stories are as entertaining. It seems that Mrs. Hudson’s husband was a con man and in the early days of their marriage she helped on a couple of cons. It was money from a con that bought the house at 221B Baker Street. Who’d have thunk?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home