Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, August 20, 2004

OTR: Listening to old time radio is always a lot of fun. Some of the shows hold up very well. Some were favorites when I was a kid (that’s a long time ago.) Shows like Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, about an insurance investigator with an expense account. Like Casey Crime Photographer which always has a scene in a bar with Ethelbert, the bartender. Like I Love A Mystery which my mother and I listened to before I went to bed (Dad was a shift worker and often was either asleep or on the swing shift). Jack, Doc, and Reggie were favorites of a lot of people in those days. I’ve been listening to a show each night from an MP3 Sampler from The Radio Lady (theradiolady.com). And some of the shows were not favorites and they weren’t very good. Tonight I listened to an episode of The Avenger. No, not Steed and Emma Peel; this was long before those two hit the small screen. The Avenger in real life is a biochemist and he has invented a telepathic machine and the ability to become invisible. Sounds to me like it was a takeoff on the ever-popular The Shadow. Two guys have perfected a murder for hire scheme and The Avenger is determined to find who and how. Businessmen are hale and hearty one moment and falling dead crying that they are burning the next. The Avenger must find out what is causing The Fiery Death. Lots of organ music and a pretty poor script, but tolerable acting. Ah, well, you can’t win ‘em all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home