Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Monday, August 02, 2004

Tibet: It had to happen sooner or later. Nothing very important to talk about. Last night we sat down and watched a short film I received on DVD from the International Campaign for Tibet. It’s called Devotion and Defiance. It portrays the treatment of Tibetan Buddhist monks by the Chinese government and the way these monks fight back under incredible circumstances and against incredible odds, the least of which is being outnumbered by the Chinese soldiers and other Chinese who have come into Tibet. Now that I think more clearly, maybe this is important. Contribute if the spirit moves you.

By circumstance a CD came from Daedalus Books and Music today. Daedalus is a remainder house and for an inexpensive $5.98 I got a CD of Sacred Tibetan Chant by the monks of Sherab Ling Monastery. A brief listen told me that it won’t make My Hit Parade, but I’ll give it another listen when I have time to listen carefully. A couple of books also came in the package, including one entitled The Great Hedge of India. I’ll tell you more when I get to reading it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home