Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Books and Their Attraction

During the trip I thought that I was doing pretty well. I've been collecting, or should I say accumulating, books since I was six years old. Now, approaching 75, I have been told by my wife that I should begin to divest myself of the books that infest the house. well, perhaps infest is too strong a word. So I was surprised that she would point out used bookstores to me as we were driving through cities and towns. I thought that I was doing pretty well at not stopping and feeling righteous in my self-denial. Today, after getting the bills paid and the luggage emptied I got around to the few books that I did buy. It turns out that I didn't do as well as I thought. Somehow there became a total of 35. I don't know how that happened. I truly tried to curb my tendency to buy whatever tickles my fancy. Granted that quite a few are paperbacks. I don't even want to think about where I will put them. The obvious answer is to get rid of 35 books. Then there should be space for the new ones. Ha! It is to laugh. Well, we can but try.

1 Comments:

Blogger adamosf said...

Welcome back, Frank. I've missed your blog the past two months.

I understand your book situation totally. That is why I have tried to limit my yearly buying, with mixed results. Jean and I just spent 2 days in Lancaster eating and shopping. I visited 2 "remainder" bookstores and saw a half-dozen books I really wanted to buy, but I restricted myself to only two! Now I am inordinately proud of myself, haha.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home