Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Clearing Out Books

I thought I'd better check in before my readers (both of them) would think I'd fallen off the face of the earth. Really don't have much to say. After months of procrastinating, I have finally begun to tackle the awesome job of clearing out some of the books that I've acquired over 65 years of buying. In the last couple of days I've managed to fill three boxes. Tomorrow I will haul them off to a used book dealer. No doubt he will give me a pittance for them. It's bad enough to leave the offsspring to make a decision about when I should die. But to leave them the chore of unloading all of these books...well, that would be unforgiveable. I must admit, though, that I have handled books that I haven't even seen for years. That was Kind of fun. Hopefully I will continue to pursue this task day after day until I have a handle on the accumulation; I never would call it a collection. I will report later on how well I do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You have more pity for your offspring than I have for mine, Frank. I'm planning to leave the chore of clearing out the books to them. They deserve it.

6:35 AM  
Blogger adamosf said...

I'm sure you have more than two readers, since you have two comments here already!

while I am a few years behind you, I cannot visualize myself actually throwing out a lifetime of books. But neither of my boys seem interested in them, so I'm hoping for a sfnal-friendly daughter-in-law someday!

1:46 PM  
Blogger randy said...

Frank: Would you consider donating your collection to my university? We will pay for shipping, and amortized tax receipts could be issued over certain time periods, and could also be applied to your children, if you so chose to do so. I'm serious about this. You have a great collection, and tax relief may be more valuable than the pittance you will receive from the used book dealers. And yes, we accept donations from the USA!

Get back to me asap: randy.reichardt@ualberta.ca, 780-492-7911

:-)

- Randy

8:24 AM  
Blogger randy said...

FRANK! I'm still waiting to hear from you about this! - Randy :-)

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home