Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Beautiful Ghosts

I just finished Beautiful Ghosts By Eliot Pattison. This is his fourth mystery novel taking place In Tibet and featuring a Chinese man, Shan. Shan had been an investigator in Beijing and ran afoul of a higher official. He was sent to a work camp in Tibet but released by the military commander of the territory who knew of his investigative skills. Through four books now he has managed to remain free while technically a prisoner. There is much about Tibetan Buddhist monks, with whom Shan associates, and their beliefs and ceremonies. This novel concerns the theft of Tibetan religious art by two conspirators, a museum director from Beijing and a wealthy American from Seattle. I enjoy this series a lot and recommend it highly. Not for people looking for a quick read, however.

1 Comments:

Blogger adamosf said...

Since I have spent much of my summer editing a nonfiction book about Tibet, and also being an occasional student of Chinese history and culture, your review of BEAUTIFUL GHOSTS certainly intrigued me. I have added it to my "Recommended Reading" list -- which already contains a large number of Denton selections, such as THE 39 STEPS, THE MOONSTONE, and KING OF THE KYBER RIFLES. Maybe I should stop reading reviewzines and just restrict myself to Frank Denton recommendations!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home