Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Scottish Novels

I appear to have been on a Scottish kick in my reading of late. First it was Sir Walter Scott’s Waverly and The Monastery. Then it was Robert Louis Stevenson’s Kidnapped and David Balfour. Somehow I did not remember much of Kidnapped. But I must have read it sixty years ago. So I thoroughly enjoyed reading it again and following it with David Balfour for the first time. Lots of action and adventure in Kidnapped and less so, more of a love story with its ups and downs in David Balfour. Then I grabbed a novel by Jeffery Farnol off the shelf. Over the Hills turned out to be another novel set in Scotland. I’ve enjoyed them all but I think the Scottish run is over. Except that I’m reading a two-volume biography of Scott which is probably telling me more than I care to know. But it’s one of the best Scott biographies so I will endure. Somehow I love this old stuff that was popular decades ago and sometimes, as in the case of Scott, almost two centuries ago. Currently I’m reading The Golden Scarecrow by Hugh Walpole, published in 1915.

Of course, I read contemporary stuff too. Some mysteries, some science fiction, some military novels set in the age of fighting sail.. I’ve just finished The Shape of Water, the first mystery by Andrea Camilleri, a Sicilian writer. The setting is certainly different and it gives some insight to the Italian ways of justice, somewhat different from our own.

2 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

You might try some of the hardboiled contemporary Scots, like Allan Guthrie.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Frank Denton said...

I read Ian Rankin pretty often, but he stays ahead of me. I will try Guthrie. And I'm sorry he's gone but I still read Bill Knox/Noah Webster/and several other names.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home