Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, June 03, 2011

Days at the Cabin

5.20.11 Posted a little late: We’re spending a few days at the cabin. We haven’t been here over the winter. There was a lot of snow so we just stayed home in the lower elevations. Here it is May and the trilliums are in bloom. The stellar’s jay visited when we put out some seeds and this evening I heard a winter wren quite near and farther off in the woods the coarse cry of a raven. Over the winter or early spring there obviously were some pretty good wind storms. There are a lot of small trees down. Eventually I’ll drag them out of the trees and brush and add them to the pile of things that need to be sawed. This will provide firewood for the fall when it begins to get cold. And the path alongside the cabin and into the back of our property was filled with fir needles and small twigs. At my age I am concerned about tripping on some small thing and falling. So out came the rake and I spent a little time raking the paths and making them safe for old men (and my much more youthful wife. She may be nearly my age but she’s in a lot better shape than I.)

Mostly, though, I’ve been reading. I brought three books along, S.J. Bolton’s Sacrifice, Sharan Newman’s The Difficult Saint, and William Murray’s Tip on a Dead Crab. I’m almost finished with the first, have a decent start on the second and haven’t touched the third. I also have a couple of magazines, the newsletter from International Campaign for Tibet and the latest copy of CADS, Geoff Bradley’s wonderful magazine from England about crime and detective stories. Plenty of reading for the few days that we will be up here. And perhaps I will get some other writing done besides this blog.

There has been a lot of snow in the higher elevations of Washington this year and snow much later in the spring. Mount Rainier was absolutely white. In normal years there are places where rock sticks out and gives the mountain some detail Not this spring. Of course it will melt some during the summer and the rock will reappear. But for now it is just a gigantic snow cone jutting into the sky.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

Sounds like a nice way to kill some time. Did you ever replace the busted heater/AC?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Frank Denton said...

Yup!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

You da man.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Bruce said...

Frank, it would be most interesting to see a photo of your cabin, having heard much about it over the years. By the way, reading your blog has inspired me to start a new one for myself (Zero Gravity).

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home