Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Aching Back and a Good Book

Oh, my aching back. We got a cord of wood yesterday morning. There is no way that I can put it all in the woodshed in one day. About five wheelbarrow loads is enough for one day. It will probably take all week to get the job finished. But for now I can take my shoes off and put my feet up. I’m reading Connie Willis’ Blackout and enjoying very much. The trials and tribulations of historians who have time traveled back to the time of World War II, have various jobs as covers, and find themselves trapped in situations that were not supposed to happen. A shop girl during the Blitz, a caretaker of displaced children who have come to the country, a supposed American reporter who was supposed to be in Dover during the withdrawal at Dunkirk but finds himself in Dunkirk itself and a young officer in the FANY (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry), transporting wounded soldiers to various hospitals. Things are not going as quite expected for any of the characters. A fascinating, well-written book.

4 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

I've heard a lot about that book, a big award-winner, I believe. Maybe I'll give it a try. I've enjoyed Willis' work in the past.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

Go easy on that back, it has to last you for the rest of your life. I keep hearing good things about Willis, but have never read her. Maybe some day.

9:51 PM  
Blogger George said...

I've read mixed reviews of Connie Willis' BLACKOUT and ALL CLEAR. Supposedly, they are one big book that the publisher decided needed to be divided into two books. Hope your back has improved. No heavy lifting!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank, I sent you an email last week about the Portland Powwow that is coming up this weekend. Did you get it? If not will you please drop me an email so I can fill you in? Thanks!!!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home