Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Best American Mystery Stories

I was wandering through Borders Book Store this evening and stumbled upon the 2004 edition of The Best American Mystery Stories. This has been a series which I have enjoyed very much. Otto Penzler is the Series Editor and each year he asks a different author to edit the year's edition. I can always expect to find some of my favorite mystery short story writers therein. Hoch, DuBois, Clark Howard and others. This year Otto chose Nelson DeMille as editor. I looked at the table of contents and blanched. I knew only three or four of the authors contained in the volume. No Hoch, DuBois, Clark Howard. No Pronzini, Estleman. Ah, there is a story by Joyce Carol Oates. Dick Lochte and Richard Lupoff, but I've already read the Lupoff story. Stephen King, but I am not a big Stephen King fan. And Jack O'Connell. Read one novel by him and thought it very strange. Well, this is going to be fun. Twenty stories and I only know five authors. This is either going to be really interesting or totally unsatisfactory. Time will tell. I may return to this topic at some future date. I'll let you know how it turned out. Will DeMille satisfy my taste or not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home