Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Monday, November 29, 2004

Gentian Hill

During our recent trip I read about a dozen books, but three of them I deemed especially good. The first was Gentian Hill by Elizabeth Goudge. Every writing book that I've ever looked at says that the writer should 'show' not 'tell.' This was a novel in which the story was mostly told. Yet I found it totally satisfying. An old fashioned book. A great story. Interesting characters and just a smidgen of coincidence. Elizabeth Goudge is practically forgotten these days, except for a couple of children's books which are still in print. I first read a novel by her probably fifty years ago. It was entitled Green Dolphin Street. Coincidentally that is also a favorite ballad that still is very popular as a standard jazz tune and has had many renditions recorded. Since I enjoyed the novel so much I intend to do some searching for other Goudge novels in the future.

1 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

Everybody says "show, don't tell," but if you pick up a bunch of novels from the last couple of centuries, including many of the well-known ones, you'll find lot of telling. And it seems to work just fine.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home