Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, November 12, 2004

Young Frankenstein

This evening I watched Young Frankenstein on a DVD I bought the other day at my local super drugstore. It amazes me that so many good film can be purchased for a pittance, under $10. And some pretty awful stuff for $5.99. ButI digress. I had forgotten that the film was black-and-white. For atmosphere, I suppose. It wasn't shot in the days of black-and-white, obviously, but I was again surprised that it was 1976; that makes it almost thirty years old. Gene Wilder was over the top, Marty Feldman of the googling eyes was a hoot. Peter Boyle as the monster was excellent and the dance scene with him and Wilder was, for me, the high point of the film. Peter Boyle singing the tag line to Puttin' on the Ritz' just tickled my funny bones. Terri Garr, Madelyn Kahn and Cloris Leachman in the female roles were all excellent. It was a film which gave the actors and actresses a chance to play scenes with exuberance and for sheer fun. Well worth seeing again.




















1 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

One of my favorite comedies. "Puttin' on the ritz" has been a catch phrase in my family ever since we saw the movie together back in '76.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home