Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Legend of Earthsea

I spent a couple of evenings in front of the tube watching The Legend of Earthsea from the several novels by Ursula K. LeGuin. I must admit that it's been a thousand years (seems like) since I first read the books. So I don't remember many of the details; can't compare the television production with the novels. The young buck who played Ged or Sparrowhawk was no great shakes. But it was interesting to see Danny Glover in the role of wizard and Isabella Rosellini as the Reverend Mother of a sisterhood. The special effects were average. I met Ursula fairly early on. Along with Larry Paschelke, Anna and I visited her and her husband at their home in Portland. So I've followed her writing career and have read her books for a long time. I was pleased to see this story brought to the screen. I hope she was pleased with the results.

1 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

She wasn't pleased. In fact, she was pretty much the opposite. There are a couple of postings from her on the 'net about it, including one on her website.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home