Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Blogger's Vacation

Sorry that I haven't kept up my blog for a bit. My wife, Anna, has been ill and I have spent a fair amount of time playing Dr. Denton.

One of my dear Indian friends, Jim La Belle, a Lakota, passed over early this week. Jim was a wonderful traditional dancer. That's a problem when one is part of the powwow family. Your friends are getting older, and begin to leave for the place beyond the sun. Jim will be greatly missed.

I watched The Fifth Element the other evening. In the early scene with Bruce Willis driving the air taxi I was struck with the likeness to the early scene in Bladerunner. The difference was that in Element the traffic was much thicker and craft were speeding in all directions at many levels. When Willis's taxi was trying to elude police I began to see that this was not going to be nearly as serious as Bladerunner. I thought it a pretty fair adventure movie. I'd love to know more about how the woman character (duh, don't remember her name) spoke the language that she did. She certainly had it down pat. It came across as believable. By the time we got to Richard Tucker, the drag queen, I had determined that this was an adventure comedy and I just sat back to enjoy it. I won't recommend it highly but if you want a giggle or two, lots of shooting on a intergalactic scale, hey, give it a try.

2 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

Hope Anna Jo is going OK now, Frank. Judy and Angela have both had the flu, and Angela was really flattened by it.

6:44 AM  
Blogger randy said...

Frank: I hope AnnaJo is on the mend. Many are battling flu-like illnesses up here. I've been lucky so far - Randy

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home