Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

James Michener and Bull Fights

I’ve been revisiting a couple of my favorite writers from college days (a long time ago). Ernest Hemingway and John Steinbeck. I’ve recently read Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms and Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men. Recently someone left Hemingway’s The Dangerous Summer on the sale table at the local library. The book is about the temporada or season of two bullfighters who tour mano a mano or each man fighting three bulls. This is a re-issue and comes with a wonderful introduction by James Michener. The intro is long and much of it reveals that Michener probably knew as much about bullfighting as did Hemingway. It is very perceptive about the nuances of the art. I may catch some flack for this blog but I’ve been interested in the bullfight for a long time. Paul Gallico said in a very early article when Sports Illustrated first came on the scene - it may have been the very first issue - that there were only three sports: mountain climbing, auto racing, and bullfighting. All the rest were merely recreations. His reasons: these three were the only ones where one risked death. I’m anxious to get to Hemingway’s text but I will be sad when I come to the end of Michener’s long introduction.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

When I lived in California in the 1970s they used to show bull fights on a UHF TV channel. I watched them on occasion. Never saw a bull win, but by the time the matador came out the poor beast was weak from loss of blood and easy pickings.

7:16 AM  
Blogger sdRay said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love alabama in motorcycle show then you will want to be there! All kinds of alabama in motorcycle show will be in attendance. For more information go to alabama in motorcycle show
See Ya There!!

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home