Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Sky Captain

I watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow last evening. It reminded me very much of the kids' radio shows of my childhood and the very early comic books which I read. The computer generated images were terrific. The giant mechanical men coming down the streets and stomping on cars were sensational. Jude Law flies a P-47 like no P-47 I ever saw. It can fly underwater and it can fly around corners. "Turn left at his corner," Polly Perkins (Gwyneth Paltrow) says and old Jude does so at a couple of hundred miles an hour. And the rocket ship that Dr. Totenkopf has designed is right of a cover of a science fiction pulp. That's exactly the way space ships are supposed to look with the three fins supporting the upright ship when it's docked. Has anyone from NASA watched this flick? They should. The movie just pushed a lot of buttons for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and I will probably watch it again sometime soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

I'm with you, Frank. A dandy movie.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home