Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Detective Fiction

Reading detective fiction is indeed a disease. It makes one do weird things. I probably have 50 or 60 authors whose books I enjoy. And these have probably written four or five hundred books. That should keep me happy for a long long time. But I am constantly finding new authors that intrigue and beckon me to enter their world. When I first heard that Laurie R. King had paired a young Mary Russell with Sherlock Holmes I was a little perturbed. Enough people have screwed around with Holmes to make me doubt that any good could come of this. Then a good friend said he had read a couple and that they were pretty good. OK, I thought, I’ll give them a try but I don’t have to like them. I’ve read two of them now and they were very good. Laurie King writes very well. Another author to add to an already long list.

Christopher Fowler is another one. Reviews were so highly receptive of his Bryant and May mysteries working in the Peculiar Crimes Unit of the London Metropolitan Police that I’ve picked up a couple in paperback. The list becomes longer. I was going to write about another book when I sat down to write this blog. You can see how easily I’m sidetracked. So I’ll leave it for tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger adamosf said...

it's funny, but i've never been a big fan of crime fiction, mysteries or thrillers, yet i really enjoy mysteries based on other premises, particularly historical mysteries like tey's DAUGHTER OF TIME and mcdevitt's sfnal mysteries which are invariably historical as well. i enjoyed THE SKULL MANTRA, but for the tibetan part of the book. the mystery itself was just an add-on that did not particularly interest me.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Bert said...

Just to say the Bryant and May series are a delight. Fowler loves London and takes a unusual aspect for each book (a theatre, the underground rivers, the three day week of the 1970's.) They have an English eccentricity about them that I really hope you'll appreciate.
I envy you not having read them.
I discovered George Pelacanos this year. His writing really shook me up. Stunning

5:32 AM  
Blogger Bert said...

I forgot to say that I think the two truly great living (crime) writers are Scott Turow and Ruth Rendell (especially under her pen-name Barbara Vine).

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home