Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Murderous Liqueurs

I was watching a Food Network program the other day while making a list of things to do. The program was Everyday Italian with my favorite Italian beauty, Giada De Laurentiis. She was making a trifle which used Creme de Cassis as an ingredient. Since I did not know what that was, beyond being a liqueur, I thought I’d look it up. It turns out to be a liqueur made from black currants. The website that I used to learn about this followed with a list of popular drinks in which Creme de Cassis was an ingredient. As a longtime mystery fan I was immediately struck by a drink called Baltic Murder Mystery. Creme de Cassis, vodka and 7 Up.

I followed up by searching for other drinks with Murder in the title. A Crow Left of the Murder and A Murder of Crows, both made with Old Crow bourbon. Others were Black Murder, Bloody Murder, Caribbean Murder, Island Murder and Murder in the Forest. This last was made with something called Pisang Ambon, a liqueur I’ve never heard of, pina colada mix, vodka, orange juice and grenadine. Sounds far too sweet for me.

I tried searching other criminal terms but the only thing I turned up was a drink called Killing Light. As opposed to Killing Dark? Or light as in not heavy handed? Anyway, ‘twas a fun detour into the worlds of liqueurs and the drinks made with them.

3 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

I'm not sure I'd want a drink with "murder" in its name. Maybe I read too many books about poisoners when I was younger.

7:20 AM  
Blogger adamosf said...

Hmm, there is something suspicious about a person who watches Giada (whom I love too, partly for her cooking, of course!) and ends up preoccupied with murder. Is this a long-term effect of those rainy Northwest winters?

7:01 AM  
Blogger caravaggio design said...

i dont know if this qualifies...a "black and tan" halh guinness half ale. named after a nasty bunch of british army thugs(who wore a tan jacket and black pants) that were nasty to irish people in the last century.

loved your comments on the big stink..a fave book of mine
patrick moylan

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home