Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Leo Malet

I ran across a reference to Leo Malet the other day. So I looked him up on the infernalnet to see what I could learn. The original reference said that he wrote fifteen hard-boiled crime stories each set in a different arrondisment of Paris. There are twenty arrondisments in Paris but Malet only managed to write fifteen stories set in Paris. He wrote many other novels set elsewhere in France. His character is Nestor Burma, who owns the Fiat Lux Detective Agency. Next I searched to see how many books had been translated into English. As far as I can tell only nine were translated. They were published in paperback editions by Pan Books in England. A trip to ABE Books told me that they might be a bit expensive to acquire. I’ve managed to buy the first paperback, 120 Rue de la Gare and have just started reading it. I’m liking it a lot. So the quest is on. The goal will require only a rather short quest. Eight more books doesn’t seem like a lot. I’m hoping that it won’t be too expensive. Since most of the books will have to come from either England or Australia, it’s the postage that will probably kill me. Although the first book I found was from Edmonton, Alberta. Wish me luck. There’s a good website at http://www.thrillingdetective.com/burma.html in case you are interested.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frank Denton said...

Hi, Kent,

Ohmigawd, I have an international readership. Actually I have several friends in BC and Alberta who read this tripe. Thank you very much for the offer of looking out for books by Leo Malet. I'd appreciate it very much. You can reach me through here or bearlodge@msn.com Thanks again.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Frank,

I've seen many Leo Malet books in French in second hand book stores in Montreal, because I look for them especially, being a big fan of Leo Malet. Some of the books are from the 80's and I have most of the stories already in a collection called 'Les nouveaux mysteres de Paris'.
Do you read them in French? Some of the words in his stories are quite special and not known to some French people today!!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home