Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

What you have here is an old guy. In education for 30 years, started teaching elementary, ended as library and media director of community college. I've enjoyed mountain climbing, sports car rallying, was pipe major of a bagpipe band, played guitar and sang during the folk revival, walking and hiking later in life. Now fairly sedentary. Enjoy reading, esp. mysteries and fantasy, but my reading is pretty eclectic. Enjoy movies, giving Netflix a workout.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Western Union

I heard that Western Union has stopped sending telegrams and just this evenbing I've had time to reflect on that a bit. In the movies we used to see bellhops in their little round hats coming into hotel lobbies and shouting "Telegram for Mr. Smith, telegram for Mr. Smith." Matter of fact we don't see bellhops with little round hats anymore either. I guess they went out with Johnny when he quit shouting "Call for Philip Morris." I used to be able to imitate Johnny pretty well but a 76-year-old voice isn't the same as a young teens. My, how time flies. Well, anyway you can still send money by Western Union. But it costs a bundle. We had to send some to our son when the kids needed medicine and he was a bit short. It cost almost as much to wire the money as the amount of money we were wiring. Well, I guess things will never be the same. As if they ever were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home